Chefs are pickier than you think
You might think chefs need to eat everything to get new ideas for their creations, but the truth is most chefs are not willing to eat EVERYTHING. The top 5 food that chefs hate most are liver, sea urchin, tofu, eggplant and oysters, of all things. Only 15% of the chefs said they ate anything.
Avoid pasta and chicken when dine out
Why? These dishes are not worth the prices on the menu. Pasta and chicken dishes are easy to make at home and chefs said they would like to pay $24 for food that they don’t usually make, or at least not that easy to make.
Chefs love fast food, TOO
You may think chefs would avoid fast food but actually most of the chefs claim they love fast food. The favorite chain among chefs’ votes: Wendy’s.
Chefs work hard for low payment
Chefs usually work between 60 to 80 hours a week and almost all of them work on holidays. 65% reported making less than $75,000 per year, compared to the waiters taking home an average of $662 per week, often tax free.
Menu “Special” are usually experimental dishes
You may think that special items usually are the popular dishes, but the truth is that specials are just a chefs’ way of using old ingredients to try out new ideas or serve seasonal ingredients. Only 5 chefs admitted that they try to empty out the fridge with nightly specials.
Don’t order fish on Sunday
Several chefs warned, “We don’t get fresh deliveries on Sunday.” So if you order seafood on Sunday, you might have the food less tasty/fresh.
Does 5 seconds rule work?
Yes, 25% of the chefs surveyed said they’d pick up food that dropped on the floor and cook it. So the 5 seconds rule works, at least for the chefs.
Restaurants mark up wine by A LOT more than you might expect
A lot of chefs said that their wines list costs 2.5 times what the same one costs in a liquor store.
- Cook's Illustrated listed this bread knife as the best serrated knife out there. Read and see why! https://t.co/u5SvyepRhu,
- Check out Flexsil-Lids -- a great way to reduce waste and preserve food's freshness. https://t.co/MmVhXtcbca,
- Need some storage options for your kitchen? Check out our brief guide on food storage containers! https://t.co/KqEIOdoAj3,
- What is a grease trap and why do you need one? Check out our article on all the benefits of grease traps! https://t.co/rPm6DZKTUt,
- Need an equipment stand? Check out this ALL stainless steel line from Atosa! https://t.co/uL5KQP7zt0,